I have had the distinct pleasure of reviewing some fabulous mineral makeups recently, and wanted to share with you, my lovely readers! I'm definitely a convert to mineral makeup - when it is done well, it's so good for the skin, is non-comedogenic, leaves such a nice finish and it just feels so nice! The fact that it's water resistant and resilient is nice, too. So, without further ado, presented in order of how I tested them, here's Fifty-Cent Head's first Mineral Makeup Roundup!
Everyday Minerals - This company is run by a busy mom who appreciates beautiful, natural, safe, affordable and easy American-made makeup. And I'd say she has achieved it! A rare 100% guarantee promises your happiness- don't like it? Return it. But I bet they don't get many returns! I love that there are estheticians on-site to help answer questions and guide you to the right products, and I also admire their free sample plan. The website is super customer-friendly with all sorts of nooks and crannies to help you pick the products that are right for you - and use 'em once you've got 'em. They have kits to help you get a complete collection, or you can go à la carte and pick what you want. Check this link to get the scoop on each week's shipping special. Everyday Minerals is a company that hugs its customers and I love it!
- Foundations| available in 4 formulas: Original Glo (a bit of dewiness, long lasting coverage, ideal for normal to dry skin); Semi-Matte (a more subtle glow, for normal to combination skin); Matte ( silky smooth matte finish, ideal for normal to oily skin); Intensive (ideal for all skin types, silky near-matte finish, controls oil without drying your skin). Of the foundations I tried this Mineral Makeup Roundup, these are my favorite. So lovely and smooth, lightweight (you'll feel like it's not there), well-wearing and just flawless. My colors matched me fabulously and I reach for these regularly now. YAY!
- Blushes and Face Colors | Cheek colors and all-over shades to enhance the complexion. While the colors I tested weren't for me, the formulas were fantastic and felt as nice as the foundations on the skin. Kudos, and I'll be back for better colors for my skin.
- Eye colors |These come in Shimmer, Pearl and Matte formulas with a slightly different mix for Brows. I tried these and really was impressed. I tend towards a bolder, MAC-like eye most days, but for days I want to keep it low-key I grab the shades I have from Everyday Minerals. They go on smoothly and wear well (though I admit: I always put them on over my MAC Paints/Paint Pots). The colors are nice and even, but subtle (at least the ones I tried). Lovely. The brow powder was fantastic, however now that I'm a redhead I can't wear the one I have - but I bust it out on the lid, anyway, despite its name. ;)
- Lip Gloss | Vegan lipglosses - yeah! I didn't try these, but they sound lovely: Cherry Fizz, Cozy Night, Girl's Day, Plum Dust, Siesta, and Spring Pink. Those just make me want to wear them, don't you agree? Also available is a lip scrub, so you don't look crappy in these pretty glosses.
- Other | Also available are concealers, pressed powders, finishing powders, accessories, brushes and skincare like cleansing bars, moisturizers and my next purchase: all-natural cleansing wipes! PS: I tried the Flat Top Brush and loved it- it went into my makeup bag immediately!
All in all, Everyday Minerals gets a ginormous A++ from me!
Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics - These products were created by a paramedical aesthetician who worked for plastic surgeons and dermatologists. She found a need and decided to fill it with these all-natural, lightweight products (made in the USA, of course). This company has a strong customer service focus, which is nice and apparently a trend in many of the mineral makeup companies (I encourage this!). And the sleek containers are spectacular - they cheer me up (I'm not sure why, but admit to being a packaging whore).
- Foundations | Loose natural mineral foundation: These silky and lightweight products give good coverage - even concealer-weight coverage if you want it. The shaker top doesn't make a mess, like some products, which I was grateful for. I was skeptical about these suckers, because I noticed that bismuth oxychloride was an ingredient. I don't get along with bismuth oxychloride. When I tried these, I was pleasantly surprised that there was no itching, no oiliness. I didn't love the colors on me - they weren't quite a match. The finish and coverage was good, but I prefer the Everyday Minerals or Lumiere. | Also available: Mineral Compact Foundation and Liquid Mineral Foundation (NOT my thing -too yellow!).
- Other face products | Mineral Rice Setting Powder employs rice and corn starches mixed with minerals to absorb oil and set your makeup. Ultimate Concealer is a creamy product that gives you variable coverage (from sheer to full). Vitamins C & E help protect the skin while minimizing dark shadows and giving gentle moisture courtesy of jojoba. A pretty good concealer - I'm keeping this one handy 'cause my MAC concealer is almost gone and I like this one more! Crushed Mineral Blush, Pressed Mineral Blush, and Mineral Radiance (bronzers) are also available, though I didn't test them. Celzome SPF 30, a natural, hydrating, PABA- and fragrance-free SPF product rounds out the skin collection (and it's waterproof and sweatproof for 8 hours!).
- Eye makeup | Crushed Mineral Eyeshadows look like a small vial of MAC pigment, and let me tell you I enjoy these almost as much. Like all products of this nature, use 'em dry for subtlety or wet them for a shot of intensity. I tried Moonstone (lovely white shimmer), Golden Beryl (gold!), and Haze (a taupey grey). Loved them all! | Also available for eyes: Eye Liner Pencils, Mascara, 8 eyeshadow quads, and the Artiste palette system.
- Lips | Lipsticks are a weakness of mine, as you probably know. These are lanolin-free and pretty long-lasting. I enjoyed the one I tried, but it felt a bit heavy on the lips - if you like the way a waxy balm feels, you'll like these. | Also available for lips: Lip Liner Pencil, Lip Shine and Lip Gloss.
- Other products | Lunar Dust helps you add some shimmer wherever you want it. Three shades help you bronze or glow in your own particular way. Artiste and Artiste On The Go let you use Youngblood in a fashionable and portable palette system. Naturally, Youngblood also offers brushes - the one I used was pretty nice. I think it's the foundation brush, but it doesn't really look like the one in the picture. At any rate, I use it for powders and I quite like it.
Overall, I think Youngblood is pretty good, but maybe a bit too sleek for my tastes. I'll use the products until they're gone, but probably wont repurchase.
Jenulence - Well, if you know my name you understand the draw - Jenulence sounded like it was right up my alley! Created by the daughter of two doctors, the line comes from the owners awareness of the importance of caring for the largest organ in the human body - the skin. Using all natural ingredients, the Jenulence line's philosophy says it all: If you can’t eat it, don’t use it on your skin. I only tested a few skin products from this line, but here's the rundown of what's available:
- Face | Foundation/Concealers - with an estimated SPF of 25, the nicely matte foundation gives great coverage with minimal effort. I tried these and really liked the colors a lot. This was a close-second to the Everyday Minerals, only because the color match wasn't exactly my favorite - but the texture, consistency, and wear were excellent! | Also available: Foundation/Powder (SPF 15, estimated), Concealers, and Finishing Powders.
- Cheeks | Blushes and Bronzers are both available.
- Eyes | Finely milled loose pigments are available in three formulas: Shimmers, Mattes, and Sparkles.
- Other | Body Shimmers, for that all-over glow; and a full line of skincare and Bath & Body products.
I enjoyed the products I sampled and am interested in trying the skincare and bodycare products, as I appreciate the company's goal and origins - however I'm a bit disappointed in the "estimated SPF" claim and would love to know why proper SPF testing hasn't been completed.
All in all, while I enjoyed them all, Everyday Minerals is my hands-down favorite. I am pleased with the effect, the lack of unnecessary fillers, and the part I didn't tell you about: the prices! This is the most affordable of the lines, and I appreciate that as much as I appreciate the all-natural ingredients, the care that goes into making them, the fact that this is a woman-owned business, and the extreme dedication to customer service and education.